Tuesday 21 April 2020

Facts surprised/learning

Hey guys, another post, I know there are a lot of posts, just a lot of work down in a day. I hope everyone is okay, and safe at home. Anyway this post is about facts of the war. We had to pick three facts that surprised me and three that I wanted to learn more about. 
So here are those facts!

Facts:
Surprised facts\/
1.
More than 11,000 ANZACs died at Gallipoli and more than 23,500 were wounded.
I am surprised because I didn’t know that many people died and wounded. At least people still remember those brave, outgoing and adventurous soldiers, by holding ceremonies everywhere in the country. 
2.
Services are held at dawn because in battle, dawn was the best time to attack the enemy. Soldiers would wake in the dark so at the first signs of light they were alert and awake.
Most people attack at day, not dawn so it’s different but the light could trigger the other citizens defending there country, so they would have to be careful. Because they might have times where people have to be on lookout for people trying to sneak and kill them.
3.
The original Anzac biscuit was known as an Anzac wafer or tile and was part of the rations given to the ANZAC soldiers during World War I. They were included instead of bread because they had a much longer shelf life.
I never thought they were called Anzac Wafer, also would’ve thought they would keep bread because there is more of bread in a loaf than biscuits,but I guess they probably made a lot of biscuits.
Learning Facts
1.
ANZAC Day is commemorated in the village of Harefield in Middlesex just outside of London because of a quirk in history. In 1914, millionaire Sydney expat Charles Billyard-Leake offered his manor home and 250 acres of parkland for injured Australian troops to recoup. It was imagined 50 soldiers in winter, 150 in summer would be catered for. But by the following year and post Gallipoli, it had become a fully-fledged hospital with 1000 beds just for Australian soldiers. More than 50,000 wounded Diggers passed through the home, which became known as Number 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital.
I want to learn more about, because it has a lot of detail and seems like an interesting fact. So I will have to look into this fact and search more up about it.
2.
The men who served on the Gallipoli Peninsula created a legend, adding the word ‘ANZAC’ to our vocabulary and creating the idea of the ANZAC spirit.
I want to learn more about why they created the legend. I will also look into this one.

3.
There is no town called “Gallipoli”. It is the name of an area. Visitors to Gallipoli usually stay at nearby towns – like Ecubeat.

I want to learn about the towns like Ecubeat and others. I wonder if they are close to Gallipoli

1 comment:

  1. Wow they are some really interesting things you have found out! I am going to find out more about that hospital too. I wonder a lot of things about that hospital.
    I know that in ration packs that we get from the Army now, when they stay in Ahaura, they get a hard bread/biscuit thing instead of a loaf of bread. The hard bread lasts for AGES. While I know in my house if we don't eat the bread it goes pretty mouldy quickly. Imagine what bread would be like in their packs when they were in the trenches - ooooh Yuck
    Great research Leah

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.