Friday 6 April 2018

Hunting & Fishing

In class we had to write a description about hunting and fishing in present tense. If people weren't at hunting and fishing competition they had to think and look at pictures our teacher took that day. Here is my writing about hunting and fishing and also there is a photo of what we caught.

Hunting & Fishing
As I jump out of the truck, heading towards the trout and eel weighing to weigh our trout, out of the corner of my eye I spot a line of carcasses hanging up on a red and blue truck. As we weigh our dead animals, we have to weigh a hare for the combined weight of animal which could be an eel, goat hare or a possum. Hopefully we win. BEEP! BEEP! Goes the weigher “This is 3.22 kg” says the weigher. That is a big hare.  As I watch the people chuck our hares away I wonder what they do with the hares everyone catches. My friends and I watch the man put our trout on display so everyone can see them. The biggest trout is 8kgs which is massive. They have won.

The smell of the wind lingers up my nose, it smells like death. By looking around and hearing everyone it looks like everyone is trying to say that they got the biggest deer. As I walk over to the marquee to get our number and spot prize I only just notice there are about one hundred people standing and talking looking around like they have never seen such a big competition. We decide to go to the big truck with the deer,chamois and boars. I try to pass everyone to get to the big red and blue truck. As the men open the bright orange fencing they let all the people in to see the dark brown,black and light brown coloured deer and different dead animals. I feel happy and excited about hunting and fishing but quite nervous at the same time, although there is nothing to worry about. By looking at the deer it looks as if it is fresh from watching the rosy red blood trickle out of its mouth to the dirty ground. As I walk over to touch the deer antlers with a sudden touch I feel the warmth rush through me. 

Walking back to the trout I press lightly on one of them and I push my finger down the scales and they feel smooth one way and rough the other way. While I watch the trout I spot wasps and flies entering the fish into the insides laying eggs and eating the fresh flesh of the trout. I look in a chilly bin and I spot an eel twirling around inside trying to slither out.
 This is what I caught: 53 hares, 3 goats and 1 magpie.

The End

3 comments:

  1. Hi Leah I am Haylee from Awahono School. I like the way you have written about the hunting and fishing. I like to do the hunting and fishing too. Maybe you can write about the eel like me. Maybe you can come to my blog and read my piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah
    You've included some very vivid descriptions of sights, smells, sensations and feelings which all help to give us a good picture of what it was like at the competition.
    You are managing to vary your sentence beginnings, and you are managing your complex sentences well. Well done!
    Mrs Idle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haylee, thanks for the comment on my hunting and fishing writing.
    From Leah

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.